Drug and alcohol abuse is very serious and is something that should not be ignored. If left untreated, those suffering from drug dependency are either destined to a life of misery going in and out of jails, as well as institutions or death. It is important that the signs and symptoms of drug and alcohol abuse are recognized. Some signs and symptoms to look out for if you are concerned that someone you know may have a problem are:
Physical warning signs of drug abuse
- Bloodshot eyes and or pupils that are dilated or constricted.
- Nosebleeds (meth or cocaine).
- Change in appetite/sleep patterns.
- Weight loss/ weight gain.
- Lack of care for personal hygiene.
- Strange smells on the persons clothing, body or breath.
- incoherent or slurred speech, impaired or unstable coordination, shakes or tremors
Behavioral signs of drug abuse
- Depression, lack of motivation at school or work.
- Complaints about behavioral changes.
- Financial problems, borrowing or stealing; missing money or valuables.
- Quiet demeanor, secretive
- Getting into trouble frequently
Psychological warning signs of drug abuse
- Mood swings, change in persona.
- Highs and lows
- Paranoid, anxious or withdrawn