How Big Pharma Helped to Create the Deadly Drug SpiceMay 19, 2014
Addiction and Incarceration: A Deadly CombinationApril 9, 2015
1. Caring what people think is a waste of time. So stop caring. Not saying you should be an asshole to everyone you meet and be fine and cool with it; but do good things and stop worrying about whether or not anyone has noticed or thinks you’re great or not great. Stop worrying about what that person at the gym thinks of you, or what the people you run into at lunch are saying. Don’t worry if people know the mistakes you have made or if they never hear about the great things you have done. They are mostly thinking about themselves anyway. What matters is how you feel about what you have done and that you know you are doing the right thing. Forget the rest of it.
2. Take risks. Whether they are in life, in love, in travel; whatever! Life is just a collection of stories to add to your book. You only have to live once if you do it well. So live it up!
3. Good and bad things don’t happen to you. To be totally honest they just happen. The universe is never conspiring to personally ruin your day. Sometimes the monster wins, and sometimes true love doesn’t work out. Life is going to happen. It is how you deal with it, the good and bad that makes you who you are.
4. There is a god. Maybe it is nature, maybe it is Buddha, maybe it is the ocean. Maybe it is the stars in the night sky. There is something that is keeping you in place and if you connect with it, awesome.
5. No one cares how clean your house, apartment, living space is. I mean maybe your mom does, but just remember you are a good person even if there is some dust on your TV stand.
6. What you do for work does not define who you are. This goes for basically anything. Nothing tangible defines who you are: not your clothes, your car, your shoes, your hair etc. What you DO defines you. So simply put, do good things.
7. There’s no such thing as “better than” or “less than,” only different. We make up the better than or less than thing in our heads–which we know isn’t always perceptively correct. Remember we are all just doing the best we can with what we have.
8. Your parents are people who were once just like you. Forgive them for grounding you and not allowing you to go to prom, or for making you pay for your own college tuition, or for leaving you, and even for dying. It is a heavy burden, let it go.
9. You are going to have moments of immense suffering and you are going to have moments of immense joy. They are all part of the experience that is life.
10. Choose your friends wisely. If you pick good friends you will know it. They are the ones who love you even when you don’t love yourself. They are the ones who will pick you up from the airport and help you move–no questions asked.
11. Oh and be a good friend. Return phone calls, send cards, give random gifts, etc. Give what you get.
12. Comparison is the thief of joy. I am not sure who said that but they are so spot on. It is easy to get caught up in comparisons and what everyone else is doing. Especially in this age of social media where everyone’s life looks damn near perfect COMPARED to yours. Don’t compare your insides to someone’s outsides. And don’t compare your life to someone’s highlight reel. You’re perfect. And everyone has shit days.
13. Forget how you feel sometimes. Feelings do not have to control you. So on some days, no matter how you feel, get up, suit up, and show up. Some days this will seem like the most impossible thing you have ever done. But resist the urge to follow your feelings–they are not dictating your actions–you are.
14. Sickness, family emergencies, cancer etc are okay reasons to go with your feelings. Mental health days, vacations, and just saying screw it days are also there for a reason.
15. Don’t marry a guy or girl just so you can be married. One day you might wake up and realize you are living someone else’s life instead of the one you really wanted. And divorce is expensive. Wait and see.
16. Never be afraid of failure. Failure is not failure–it is actually a part of the road to success; a dynamic part of it. Every one fails, and you will at some point–it is guaranteed. You will also survive–that is guaranteed also. Learn from it and get back up.
17. Money isn’t the answer. Stop thinking that it is. Money can’t make you happy. It can buy nice things and send you nice trips, but if you’re kind of a crappy person, no matter how many nice things you have and how many trips you take you will still be a crappy person.
18. Trust your instincts when it comes to dating. If there is a little voice inside of you that tells you to run or that it isn’t right. Then run and it isn’t right. Don’t stay in a relationship out of fear of being alone. You are capable of being alone.
19. Get rid of this whole sentence: “I will be happy when. . . .” Whatever your when is might never happen. So happiness may never happen if you are waiting on the when. Happiness is the way of traveling not the destination. Be happy now, life is short.
20. Wear sunscreen. Seriously, you will regret not wearing it later on in life.
21. Relax and breathe. When deadlines come and papers are due–remember to breathe and that you got this.
22. Exercise more than you think you should. And not because you want to be thin or look sexy because it is good for you! Exercise is empowering and it has a lot of great health benefits to help you live your life to the fullest.
23. Fall in love. Again and again and again. And with everything! Even when it hurts! And even when it is scary! Why? Because the benefits totally outweigh the risks. It is an experience you can only have because you have gotten a shot at living life. Experience it and enjoy every moment of it–whether it be painful or blissful.
24. Apologize when you are wrong. Apologize sincerely. You will mess up and you will feel bad about it. So admit when you are wrong and then do the right thing to correct it. It will be humbling but that is half the point.
25. Forgive easily. Forgive in the same way that you would want to be forgiven.
26. You are not always going to get what you want. And that is ok. You may not get what you want but you will always have what you need. Life works out. And you may find out that what you need is what you wanted all along.
27. Forget the word “should.” You should be doing this, you should have this, you shouldn’t have done that. Let go of the “shoulds” in your life and focus on the reality of what is right now. Find what you are passionate about, live with purpose. On their deathbed no one ever wished they had worked more and lived less.
28. Stop selling yourself short. People overestimate what they can do a month and underestimate what they can do in a year. You are capable. You are perfect. You are strong and you will accomplish great things. Stop believing you aren’t good enough. You are.
29. Have fun. You only get one chance in this body. So live it up!
30. Don’t spend your time reading posts like these. Go out and experience life. Don’t sit in front of the computer trying to figure it out with lists of 30 things.
Have a great day!